Tier 2 (General)

Tier 2 (General)

Tier 2 (General) Migrant visa

A Tier 2 (General) Migrant visa is the solution for employers wishing to hire experienced individuals or graduates.


Tier 2 (General) Migrant visa is a work based visa where you are required to be sponsored by a qualified UK employer. This is the best visa if you wish to work for a UK company.


Who can apply for a Tier 2 (General) Migrant visa?

Anyone who qualifies can apply for a Tier 2 visa.


Is there any difference between a Tier 2 General and Tier 2 Intra- company transfer?

The key differences will be in terms of the minimum salary requirements, the requirements to advertise the position (RLMT) and lastly, the eligibility to apply for Indefinite Leave to Remain (Permanent Residency). Below are the main differences:


Tier 2 General

Can apply in the UK subject to eligibility No previous working experience required Minimum salary:

New Graduate : £20,800 p/a Experienced: £30,000 p/a RLMT – compulsory Language – compulsory

You will be eligible to apply for Indefinite Leave to Remain after 5 years continuous leave.


Tier 2 Intra-Company Transfer

You must be an existing employee of a foreign company and this is a transfer within the company. You must be working with this company for a minimum period of 12 months.

Minimum salary: £41,500 p/a RLMT is not required


You will not qualify for Indefinite Leave to Remain



You will need to:

Been offered a job by an employer who can assign a valid certificate of Sponsorship

You must be paid at an appropriate salary for your job. Do note that your salary rate will differ depending on the job you do as well as your level of seniority

You must prove your knowledge of English – this can either be from a Degree that was taught in English, or from an approved English language test

You must have a minimum of £945 of personal savings in your bank account for a 90-days however this requirement will not be applicable if your employer is an A-rated sponsor and is willing to certify your maintenance

Have tuberculosis test results if you are from the listed country – this is not applicable if you are applying in the UK or if you are a returning resident applying from abroad

You must provide a criminal record certificate from any country you have lived in for 12 months or more in the last 10 years. This requirement is not compulsory if you are applying in the UK.


I am a student and I have received a job offer, help?

If you are currently studying in the UK and you hold a valid Tier 4 General, you can apply to switch to a Tier 2 General visa within the UK. This is however subject to a few considerations:

Where did you study?

You must have studied and completed a course from a recognised provider in accordance with the immigration rules. You can find the list of these providers here. Essentially, almost all of the UK higher education institutions are on the list.

Who was your sponsor?

Your current Tier 4 sponsor must be within the list of recognised bodies. If your degree is from these bodies, but if your current sponsor is a private college, you will not qualify to switch into a Tier 2 visa.

What did you study?

You must have completed a course to qualify under this provision. Do note for those who are studying a professional course e.g. ACCA, LPC; you must have previously completed a degree in the UK prior to commencing your professional qualifications.


If you meet the above requirements, the next step is to ensure that your future employer has a valid Sponsor License to hire you. Talk to us if they do not. We can assist them with their application.


Great, it sounds like I meet the requirements. What’s next?

In all circumstances, your employer will need to sponsor you by assigning a Certificate of Sponsorship (CoS). There are various factors to consider prior to assigning the CoS, such as the job you will be doing and the salary you will be receiving. These are vital requirements to be met prior to your employer hiring you. We can advise your employer on the requirements.


Once the CoS has been assigned to you, you will be able to submit an application for a Tier 2 General. You will need to ensure that you meet the Maintenance requirement, and you will be required to submit your original degree certificate.


A Certificate of Sponsorship (CoS) contains your electronic record which includes your personal details and information about your job that you have been offered. Your employer should provide you with your CoS unique reference number once they have assigned it to you.


We can assist you with your Tier 2 (General) Migrant application preparation. Talk to us for an initial advice and we will guide you on the right track towards your visa.


Your family member


Your family members (‘dependants’), your husband, wife or partner and your child under 18 can come with you when you come to the UK on this visa. The dependants of Tier 2 (General) will have full rights to work in the UK apart from working as a Trainee Doctor/Dentist or professional sportsperson or sports coach.


At the stage of initial application, the dependent spouse of Tier 2 (General) applicant will have to prove that they are in a subsisting relationship with the family members. They are also expected to provide supporting documents to show their ability to maintain themselves in the UK. This will be in the form of having savings of £630 (for each applicant) which must be held for at least 90 days prior to the date of submitting the application. Alternatively, if the main applicant will be sponsored by an A-Rated sponsor, the sponsor can provide an undertaking to confirm that the dependant’s maintenance will be covered by the sponsored as well.


Before 11th January 2018, the limitation of 180 absence days in continuous 12 months applies only to the main applicant, but from 11th of January 2018, the same requirement will apply to PBS Dependant partners.