Skilled Worker visa - Intra Company Transfer

Tier 2 ICT (Intra-company Transfer)

Please note that this visa category is now replaced by Global Business Mobility, please find the details here.

What’s new?

  • The Intra-Company routes will have the same flexibility as the Skilled Worker route in terms of switching from other visa categories within the UK
  • Eligibility requirements are still in line with the present system; they will still need to show that they have been in employment with the ‘Sponsor group’ for at least 12 months unless they are a high earner with a salary of £73,900
  • A graduate trainee will only need to show three months of employment
  • The job needs to be at the appropriate skill level; the specific SOC codes which are eligible for the ICT routes are marked in Appendix Skilled Occupation. Do note that the minimum skill level is remaining at RQF level 6.
  • The salary thresholds for the visa route have remained the same, so that the minimum salary is £41,500 for ICT and £23,000 for Intra Company Graduate Trainee
  • The ICT route also features the same financial requirement as the Skilled Worker visa.

Who is this visa for?

This is the visa for employees of a foreign organisation to work in the UK branch of its organisation. You must have already been working with your employer outside the UK and your UK office must have a valid sponsor license to be able to employ you.

It is important to note that you will not be eligible for Indefinite Leave to Remain under this visa. What are the options available?

1.    Long-term Staff

This visa is for employee transfers of more than 12 months into a role that can’t be filled by a new UK recruit.

You must have worked for your company for more than 12 months, unless they are going to pay you a salary of £73,900 or more a year to work in the UK.

2.    Graduate Trainee

This visa is for employee who is under a graduate trainee programme for specialist roles. You will need to be a recent graduate with at least 3 months’ experience with your employer overseas. Your employer must demonstrate that you are under a programme.

How long you can stay?

The maximum stay for each type of Tier 2 (Intra-company Transfer) visa is:

Long-term Staff (if you earn more than £120,000 a year): 9 years

Long-term Staff (if you earn less than £120,000 a year): 5 years, 1 month Graduate Trainee: 12 months

However, your employer in the UK can assign your certificate for a lesser period.

What do I need to do to be eligible?

You must be able to show that you are an existing employee of your company outside the UK;

You must have a valid certificate of sponsorship for your job before applying – your employer must have a valid sponsor license;

You must be paid at an ‘appropriate salary’ for your job;

You must have personal savings so you can support yourself when you arrive in the UK – you must have maintained a minimum amount of £945 for a consecutive period of 90 days;

As part of your application, you must provide your travel history over the last 5 years; You may have to complete a tuberculosis test from an approved centre;

What is the appropriate salary?

You must be paid at least the minimum salary for your type of visa or the appropriate rate for the job you are being offered – whichever is higher.

The minimum salary is:

£41,500 for Long-term Staff

£23,000 for Graduate Trainee

However, if your salary rate is higher according to the UK Home Office list, your employer must pay you at the higher rate.

What’s next?

Your employer will need to sponsor you by assigning a Certificate of Sponsorship (CoS). Once the CoS has been assigned to you, you will be able to submit an application for your Tier 2 ICT. You will also need to ensure that you also meet the Maintenance requirement as part of this application.

A Certificate of Sponsorship (CoS) contains your electronic record which includes your personal details and information about your job that you have been offered. Your employer should provide you with your CoS unique reference number once they have assigned it to you.

We can assist you with your Tier 2 ICT application preparation. Talk to us for an initial advice and we will guide you on the right track towards your visa.

Your family member

Your family members (‘dependants’), your husband, wife or partner and your child under 18 can come with you when you come to the UK on this visa. The dependants of Tier 2 (ICT) will have full rights to work in the UK apart from working as a Trainee Doctor/Dentist or professional sportsperson or sports coach.

At the stage of initial application, the dependent spouse of the applicant will have to prove that they are in a subsisting relationship with the family members. They are also expected to provide supporting documents to show their ability to maintain themselves in the UK. This will be in the form of having savings (£1,270 for main applicant, £285 for a dependant partner, £315 for a first child and £200 for each subsequent child) which must be held for at least 28 days prior to the date of submitting the application. Alternatively, if the main applicant will be sponsored by an A-Rated sponsor, the sponsor can provide an undertaking to confirm that the dependant’s maintenance will be covered by the sponsored as well.