The requirement of foreign nationals from designated countries to register with police within 7 days after arrival has ceased. The requirement was completely abolished on 4 August 2022.
While the Home Office has yet to formally notify, the National Police Chiefs Council (NPCC) issued a notice in early August announcing the removal of the police registration requirement for foreign nationals. This notice applies to both registered and unregistered individuals. All appointments are also be cancelled immediately, and the newly approved visas will no longer has this requirement.
People who have registered with the police should experience the troublesome and time-consuming process, from appointment form to preparation of documents. The waiting time for registration at the Metropolitan Police in London is more than one year, which makes many people worried about their travels! The requirement of police registration is a significant administrative burden for the UK police forces. Therefore, this abolition will be welcomed by the public.
What will be the impact of removed condition?
1. From 4 August 2022, all foreign nationals (including those who have made an appointment) do not need to register at the police station.
2. Those who have been issued a visa but yet to travel will be re-issued visa or be notified of the changes in advance of travel.
3. The requirement of police registration will be dropped from the new visa conditions.
4. Those who arrive at the police station will be notified that they do not need to register.
5. For those who have travelled, the Home Office will not renew their visa/BRP/information on view and prove your immigration status system about amended the condition of police registration.
6. People who have registered will not be amended the condition of police registration on their visa/BRP/information on view and prove your immigration status too. The fees paid to register will not be refunded. You do not need to go to the police station for any change of address/personal details update your information. The registration certificate is no longer be required when applying for permission to stay in the UK.
7. Those who make late appointments before the suspension do not need to register as you are not expected to do so.
8. All people who have changed their personal data or address should communicate the Home Office at the following URL: https://www.gov.uk/change-circumstances-visa-brp .